mardi 10 juillet 2007

Letter: Directeur général des élections du Québec

Directeur général des élections du Québec
Édifice René-Lévesque
3460, rue de La Pérade
Québec (Québec)
G1X 3Y5

Re: Lac Simon Referendum

My premise is that Municipality of Lac-Simon maire Serge Thivierge and General Director Gisèle Prévost have obstructed my right to vote.

On Sunday July 1, Municipality of Lac-Simon maire Serge Thivierge spoke at the Lac Simon Property-Owners' Association annual meeting. I am a member. The maire announced that the Municipality of Lac-Simon has been planning a referendum to merge Lac-Simon and Cheneville. He told the audience that the date was fixed for September 2. A vote was held in the auditorium. About 120 members of the Lac Simon Property-Owners' Association voted 98% against the
merger.

On Friday July 6, I went to the offices of Municipality of Lac-Simon at 849, chemin Tour-du-Lac to request a form to submit my name to be on the elector list. I (among others earlier in the day) was told the forms were not ready. I was also told that I would have to wait another week. Oddly enough, these are the same forms that were freely given out months earlier by the same office personnel in the last municipal elections to elect major Serge Thivierge.

On the evening of July 6, I attended the sessions du conseil du Municipality of Lac-Simon. I told the major that I was unable to get a registration form earlier in the day. I also told the major that a fellow citizen had given me copies of the forms I requested. I then requested that my major, the major of Lac Simon, Serge Thivierge, authenticate the forms. He denied my request. Not knowing the electoral laws, I simply responded that the maire and the referendum process to date was undemocratic.

General Director and Secretary treasurer, Gisèle Prévost was curiously absent from the sessions du conseil.

In Québec, registration on a list of electors or a referendum list is left up to the choice of the citizen. Indeed, citizens decide whether or not they will participate in the polls.

First I submit that the advice that maire Serge Thivierge is getting from General Director Gisèle Prévost is wrong.

Second I submit that General Director Gisèle Prévost has not been independent and impartial in the performance of her duties. Moreover, maire Serge Thivierge and General Director Gisèle Prévost have obstructed my right to vote.

Third, I request that all citizens be able to request and receive the registration forms to place their names on the electoral list at the offices of Municipality of Lac-Simon immediately.

Finally, I wish that that all parties conduct themselves in the highest of electoral standards.

I hope that this problem is rectified immediately.

Thanking you in advance.

Sincerely,

Paul Malouf
******************
My questions to the maire at the July municipal council meeting were dismissed. Hence the letter to the Directeur général des élections du Québec.

******************
In response to your e-mail dated July 09, 2007, a communication was made this morning with the Municipality of Lac-Simon to clarify the situation. The registration forms for entry on the referendum list of the municipality are now available.

Please note that the Act respecting elections and referendums in municipalities provides that in order for a person entitled to be entered on the list of electors as the sole owner of an immovable or as sole occupant of a business establishment to be able to exercise that right, the municipality must have received a writing signed by the person and applying for such an entry.

Do not hesitate to contact the undersigned should you require further information.

Directeur général des élections du Québec

Aucun commentaire: